Week 2: Forum Questions

Topic 1:

The 3 organizations that I follow on Instagram are: "NBA", "Utah Jazz", and "LDS Church". I have chosen these 3 organizations to follow because they have all at some point have played a part in my life. I follow the NBA because basketball has always had a big influence in my life. I have played since I was very young and have always enjoyed playing. With basketball being such a big influence, I loved watching NBA players do remarkable things with the basketball and other things on the court. Though I could not really do a lot of the things they could do myself, it did help me understand somethings of what I could do to improve my game. NBA players play a big part in society because they are role models to those who also enjoy watching them.
I follow the Utah Jazz because they are my local area NBA team and have enjoyed the way they carry themselves as a team. They don't need really any big superstars to do well in the league. I also enjoy seeing the things they post of how the give back to they community they are in. I am not saying the players that are apart of that team are perfect, but they handle and portray themselves in ways that I respect and admire.
I follow the LDS church because I am a Latter-Day Saint (Mormon) and that belief has always been apart of my life. I enjoy reading the uplifting posts and keeping up with the news of the leaders in church and what the church is doing to be a benefit to the world.

A post that has stuck out to me recently was shared by a friend of mine on Facebook. Since we just recently had Independence Day , there were a lot of post by friends doing fireworks, cookouts, and other activities. This friend's post stuck out to me though because it was the first post I saw that was talking about remembering our veterans and all other military members present and in the past who have sacrificed so much to enjoy the country we live in today. Yes there were others I saw that day who also shared similar posts but his was the first I came across that day and it caught my attention. My grandfather was a veteran so it this post was close to home for me .

I honestly don't feel much of the need to get out and participate in government, democracy, and other activities. When it comes to election times, yes I will do my research and see what other people are talking about on the topics so I can make a vote that I think will be the best. Other than that though, I usually stay away from such things being shared on social media. I believe that is because there is so much "fake news" that can be shared, I don't want to deal with trying to figure out how much of the story is true. I know that sounds like I am being ignorant and maybe I am, but it sometimes can just be so overwhelming with the things being shared on news that I feel like it is easier to just turn a blind eye to it.

Topic 2:

In her speech, she mentioned how her and her daughter sleep with their phone at night. That is also a thing that I do and they problem with that is that I will lay in bed for sometimes hours just scrolling and watching videos of things that really aren't that important instead of getting good nights sleep. I have also found that it is a distraction from really talking with my wife and having a conversation with her on how things are going for her or to express how things are going in my life. So in order to change up the way we use or phones or other devices we have made dinner, laying in bed, and hanging out with friends are friends, for a few examples, zones that are device free zones. We may watch a video or two depending on the conversation we are having but other than that, it is a place to just talk about how the things in life have been, positive and negative. Some of the steps that I am following to ensure we can be somewhat successful is charging our phones away from our bed, leaving our phones in the bedroom during dinner and when we have guests over. We do not say to our guests that they have to do the same but are welcomed to if they feel like that is necessary for them. It has worked part of the time but there is still room for improvement.

I do play a lot of video games but not on my phone, more on my PS4 and computer. I have about one game on my phone, around 5 for my computer, and around 12 for the PS4. I play a lot of first shooter games, Call of Duty for example, but I also play sport games such as NBA2k. I play a lot of these games because in a way it is like a way to escape into another world to do things that can't really be done in real life. I am not saying that I play Call of Duty because I enjoy the thrill of killing virtual people but for the fact that I can in a way be transported into a story line that is adventurous and different than the life being lived. Games such as NBA2k allow me to play in a story line that is almost every kids fantasy to play in professional sports.

I would say that I probably my guess for how much I spend gaming and and social networking would be about 30 hrs/week. That average would be higher though if I wasn't in school and I also work for part of the day. Without school and still working, it would probably be closer to 40 to 50 hours per week. I would not say though, however, that I am part of an online community. When it comes to gaming, I play a lot more games on my own such as single player campaign modes instead of multiplayer modes. I also just spend a lot of time scrolling through social media instead of responding, commenting, or sharing posts. I would say that when it comes to gaming or social media, I tend to keep to myself instead of really participating in an online community.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 3: Forum Questions

Week 1: Forum Questions

Week 8 Forum Questions: